The Pioneer Courthouse in St. George begins its new role as a city visitor center and gift shop July 24. A celebratory event is scheduled to take place from 9 a.m. to noon that day. The Southern Utah Heritage Choir, Color Country Chorus, Red Sand Bluegrass Band, and George Staheli Memorial Band will perform. St. George Live characters will be present, and lemonade and molasses cookies will be offered. A ribbon cutting will take place at 10:30 a.m. with remarks from Mayor Jon Pike.
The structure opened in 1870 and served as the focal point of county administrative services for over 50 years. Most recently, the facility housed the St. George Area Chamber of Commerce until it moved to its new location across the street earlier this year.
The City of St. George and the Dixie Arizona Strip Interpretive Association are partnering to provide an anchor to visitor services at the core of the city’s downtown district, making available a wide array of information about the area. The well-preserved second floor will remain intact as a courtroom that will be used to host activities including brown bag lectures, civic meetings, and Historic St. George Live courtroom reenactments.
The Pioneer Courthouse is located at 97 E. St. George Blvd. in St. George.